Optimum Kick Drum Pedal and Hi-Hat Pedal Hardware Designs:
TRICK Drums USA - manufacturer of the Complete Product Line of Longboard Pedal Technology
Regarding the development of foot motions conducive to greatest efficiency, power transfer and speed:
- The heel plate is a legacy design that serves no modern purpose as the heel of the foot is active in fully implemented foot motion technique.
- The foot’s heel must be able to contact with the moving surface of the footboard.
- Textured kick board surfaces are a detriment to push-pull and sweep stroke foot motion.
- The foot must be able to slide forward and backward on the board’s surface smoothly.
- A wider pedal surface is preferable to a narrow design.
- The foot’s ability to maintain contact with the pedalboard surface needs to be effortless.
- There are definite technical advantages when the kick and hi-hat pedalboard surfaces possess matching form factors.
- Heavy-duty, robust design construction is far preferable to anything less.
These issues addressed, it is interesting to note that only a few manufacturers offer longboards for kick drum. Only three companies offer a corresponding design for the hi-hat. Of these, only TRICK Drums makes kick drum and hi-hat longboards as well as a longboard hi-hat remote product.
Images below show examples of the longboard products from TRICK Drums USA.
Of note is the uniformity of playing surface regardless of the drum instrument being controlled.
Of necessity for maximum utilization of foot and leg technique is the smooth playing surface, long footboard length and the removal of the heel plate.
"The defining element of virtuosity is the performance ability of the musician in question, who is capable of displaying feats of skill well above the average performer."
Virtuoso Drummer™ is an online publication of:
Online Studies for the Serious Musician